MONDUL YORN COMMUNITY BASED TOURISM
Explore remote villages of the Virachey National Park
“Oops! We are very sorry, but the CamConscious team has yet to visit Mondul Yorn site.”Recommendation from the CamConsious Team
The Community Protected Area (CPA) of Mondul Yorn was set up in 2004 with the support of SCW. To help local communities to diversify income and prevent further logging of timber in 2013 a community based ecototourism element was introduced. The site is based in a remote O’Tabok river on the outskirts of Virachey National Park. It is an ideal site for those seeking to explore remote and unspoiled part of Cambodia
- 7 homestays with mattress and mosquito net, private toilet, safety box
- Trash cans
- First Aid Kit
- No electricity and WiFi – make contact with each other 😊
LOCAL AREA & ACTIVITIES
- Remote jungle area by O’Tabok river on the outskrits of Virachey National Park in Ratanakiri province of Northern Cambodia
- Mondul Yorn is home to 18 families with almost 200 members of the indigenous Brao ethnic minority group
- Hiking, Biking, Relaxing
- Kayaking, Swimming, Fishing
- Try local foods and famous jar rice wine
GETTING THERE & TRANSPORT
From Phnom Penh, take a bus or taxi to Banlung town in Ratanakiri province. or online booking the best experiences we have had with bookmebus.com. The trip takes about 10 hours. From Banlung, you can book all inclusive 2 day (1 night) package, which will take care of everything for you.
MEET THE PEOPLE BEHING THE PROJECT
Mr. PAT Samong (28) is a member of the ethnic minority “Brao” and lives in CPA Mondul Yorn. As a key focal point and Deputy chief of the CPA committee, he is committed to protect the forest and conserve biodiversity in Ratanakiri. He is a boat driver and guide and is excited to share his love for nature with visitors.
As a local farmer, safe boat driver and guide, he knows the area very well and is excited to show tourists the beautiful forests and nature in his home. He speaks basic English and hopes to learn more from visitors.
GOALS AND ASPIRATIONS
SCW’s vision is a world, where nature, wildlife and human beings co-exist peacefully. The strategic direction in the forthcoming years focuses on ownership and sustainability of local communities to provide for their own livelihood. Eco-Tourism as an alternative source of income is part of these efforts.
NOT TO BE MISSED
- Explore traditional village life in rural Cambodia
- Observing wildlife – birds, monkeys and much more
- Breathe fresh air, explore Cambodia’s beautiful untouched nature
1 – 2 DAYS STAY
Our understanding is that this site only offers all-inclusive packages for their visitors, as the site is very remote and it is difficult to travel there on your own without a local staff. Therefore the best options is to book 2days- 1night Virachey Hill-Tribe Visit & Jungle Trek. The ideal time to visit is during the dry season
early November and late May. The cost includes:
- Homestay with local family
- 1/2 day exploring the surrounding forest
- All inclusive (guide, transport, homestay, food, etc.)
MY EXPERIENCE IN ECO-TOURISM VILLAGE MONDUL YORN By Martin I visited Mondul Yorn, Ratankairi province, together with two German friends at the beginning of October 2017. We booked a 2 days / 1 night package. Ratanakiri is located in the northeast of Cambodia. It took...read more