OSVAY COMMUNITY BASED TOURISM
Enjoy islands on Mekong river and watch for Irrawaddy Dolphins
“O’Svay is close to Preah Rumkel CBT, so you might find similarities between them. O’Svay is close to Ramsar Forest and many islands on the Mekong river, such as Kho Phnov. Plenty to do for a whole family here, and if you are interested in bird watching this is a great place to visit.”Recommendation from the CamConsious Team
O’Svay community based ecotourism project consists of five villages ( O’Svay village, O’Run, Koh Phnov, Koh Hib, and Voeun Sien village) and four surrounding islands. O’Svay community is the most popular destination in Stung Treng province both for local Cambodian and international visitors. Borey O’Svay is well known for its preservation of wildlife, including birds, fish and the Irrawaddy Dolphins along the Mekong river, as well as for its forestry preservation at the Ramsar site.
- 1-3 bedrooms in a traditional house with mosquito net, sheets, blankets, pillows
- Local style toilet and shower
- Electricity 24/7
- Provides drinking water,
- Parking: car, van, motorcycle
LOCAL AREA & ACTIVITIES
- Kayaking in Ramsar Forest wetland
- Seam Pang bird watching
- Enjoy the white sand beaches and the rapids
- Cycling and trekking along the Mekong river
- Swimming in the streams
- Attending guided walks through the Ramsar forest and the islands
- Experiencing the caves
GETTING THERE & TRANSPORT
Travelling from Pnhom Penh/Siem Reap, use of the many buses and VIP minibuses to reach Stung Treng city. From there you have 2 options:
- By boat – Book a ticket at the tourism office in the center of Stung treng (2km from Stung treng, on the national Road No. 7) It is around $12.
- By car/ motorbike : 45 km from Stung Treng towards the Lao border on National Road No.7. 16kms into the journey take the road on the left. From the Lao border to Stung Treng, it is 7km along the National road and then take a right.
From Preah Rumkel : $10 (you can try to bargain this price with the local community Preah Rumkel)
NOT TO BE MISSED
O’Svay groups many islands together where there is an opportunity to see birds and walk around the islands. Often surrounded by sandy beaches, it is the perfect place to relax and appreciate the peaceful Mekong river.
The other option is the Ramsar Forest, that many travellers enjoy visiting. You will be amazed by the Flooded Forest.
Here are few things to enjoy:
- Enjoy the local fresh fish for dinner.
- Watching the dolphins in the Mekong river
- View the Flooded Forest and bird watching along the Mekong river. If you have a bycicle, you can also travel along the mekong river.
- Go to La ang Phnom Prak, Silver Mountain cave.
- Trekking in the community forest on the islands.
1 – 2 DAYS STAY
Depending on your budget and your choice, you can take a boat to go to the other islands.
Koh Phnov is surrounded by sandy beaches and you can find plenty of good swimming spots. If you venture deep into the forest and the waterfall, you can admire the Black Cormorants, Green Pigeons, and Parrots. The most spectacular bird is the vulture which arrives during the dry season.
Anlong Neak & Anlong Seima offer, during the dry season, a unique opportunity to learn about the legendary Dragon spirit in the area. The miracle of the area is that the western side of the river always flows from north to south while the eastern side flows south to north. It is situated in the lower part of the Ramsar area.